Friday, October 27, 2017

My Inheritance (delayed)





I am rich now, because of an investment made by you, Dad, when I was young. This was not a college fund, stock in a company, or a high yield savings account. The investment was the words of God.

When I was young you used to pray the Lord's prayer with Jerrett and I before bed, for months on end. I don't really know how long. It could've been years. That detail is a bit fuzzy.


I remember you would recite from memory the Lord’s prayer and explain parts of it to us bit by bit. It was especially powerful that you had it memorized. This communicated implicitly the importance of it upfront: "this is something worth having with you at all times." I didn't appreciate that at first, but when I was converted later in life, it helped push me towards what David did: "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you" (Psalm 119:11)


My Dad with playing with my
nephew James, Summer 2017
I was just a couple years under 10 and I didn't realize you were making an investment in my life that would grow exponentially over the years. By age 11 – 12, I was disinterested in spiritual things, but Jesus grabbed a hold of me at late 17.  Now the Lord’s prayer has been a guide for me many times, putting a structure on my prayers so that they are guided by God's word, ensuring they are God-centered and are very likely to be answered.


Thank you Dad for making that investment in my life. I'm enjoying the return abundantly and I look forward to planting that seed in our children one day. My faith is deeper and prayer life is richer because of what God did to grow your investment in me as a child. It is hard to convey the weight of my thankfulness, so I hope just a simple "thank you" will do in print. Thanks Dad, and I love you.


If you are reading this and are wondering how to invest in your children so they are rich as God would have them be, I recommend doing what my dad did and making the words of God an integral part of your child's life in the home. You can't underestimate the return it may have in their life, though it may seem meager at times. 
Deuteronomy 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you add?
leave a comment below!