No student likes taking finals, but there is still an excitement and anticipation because of the sweet freedom that comes afterwards! I would know. I just took 2 finals last week. How can you help your student this week? Here are a few suggestions:
- Encourage them to get enough sleep. (If they are young enough, insist on it!)
- Plan tasty, healthy meals to help them operate at 100%.
- Both 2 and 3 are often under-valued. Encourage them to give attention to these things. It can be the difference between a sharp or dull memory in a stressful moment.
- Pray for them and with them. Pray that God gives them sharp thinking, good recall, and sustains their energy throughout the testing day. Also encourage them to pray themselves throughout the day, asking for help from the Father! I can't count how many times prayer has made a difference in my life while testing!
- Try to minimize surprises that will distract and drain their energy. Have some big news that will drain them emotionally? Waiting is probably better. A good surprise can motivate them though, hence # 6!
- Give them a carrot to look forward to after finals. Maybe take them to a movie, make their favorite food, or throw a little celebration.
- Encourage them to use good study habits. Students can study too little or too much, both negatively affecting their scores. I outlined these here in an a blog post for students. (maybe you should send them the article!)
- study creatively, study without distractions, study hard, de-stress at night, review right before bed, review in the morning, eat healthy
- Give them time and space to recover. Even at the time I am writing this I am fatigued and intentionally trying to take it easy. I need it badly. God made a day of rest for a good reason: we are people who need rest!
What do you do to help your student? what would you add? let us know by comment below!